Guidelines for Nurses immigrating to Canada

Nursing is one of the most demanding professions in the world. Canada is one of the top destinations that attracts immigrants due to benefits offered to its citizens and permanent residents. Specifically, for a nurse seeking a job in Canada can discover huge benefits.  

Demands for nurses is very high in Canada. To get a nursing job in Canada, you need to match the Canadian nursing standard. Therefore, credential evaluation, prior experience and licensing requirements are important for immigrating to Canada as a nurse. 

Immigration Advice to Nurses for Canada Immigration

There are four ways through which nurses can immigrate to Canada. They are

  • Express Entry [Federal Skilled Worker Program [FSWP]]
  • Quebec Skilled Worker Program 
  • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Immigrate 

For immigration, nurses have to first register with the National Nursing Assessment Service [NNAS]. NNAS helps internationally educated nurses to seek registration as a Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse [LPN], and Registered Psychiatric Nurse [RPN] to work in Canada. NNAS help to verify and compare your credentials with that of the Canadian education system. It also secures and stores the education and registration credentials to work in Canada. 

The main process of NNAS includes 

  • Set up an online account with NNAS through the official website and complete the application. You will receive a permanent NNAS ID number. You will require NNAS ID number to view the status and for application later. 
  • You need to submit two forms of identification (it can be a passport, Birth certificate, other government-issued identification) directly to the NNAS. Remember, the forms should be notarized. No need to send original documents. 
  • If the documents are written in any other languages other than English and French, then you need to translate the document. Documents should be sent directly to NNAS by the translator. 
  • After that, you need to submit the educational documents. It should be sent directly from the school or university to NNAS. 
  • Submit your nursing registration form. It should be sent by nursing licensing authorities where you were ever licensed or registered outside of Canada. 
  • Then you also need to submit your employment/practice form 
  • Language Proficiency test 
  • After evaluation by NNAS, you will receive an advisory report with your evaluation details 
  • Apply to the nursing regulatory body in Canada of your choice and complete the payment process through NNAS. 

Nurses can also complete their credential evaluation services through World Education Services [WES]. You need to send the educational documents for WES credential evaluation. 

Once you reach Canada, you are required to take the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE) to work as a registered nurse in Canada.

Leave A Comment